My squeaking bathroom door

Every time anyone goes in an out of our bathroom at night I can hear it because the bathroom door squeaks. I've asked by husband to fix it so many times that I am sick of the sound of my voice. I am getting a contractor to fix the job and do all of the other jobs on my husband's to do list. I am sick of nagging him, so I'm hiring in someone to get rid of all of these little issues. This blog is for other fed up wives who just want to see their houses fixed like they asked.

When and Why You Should Call a Private Certifier to Your Home


A private certifier is someone who inspects and then issues a building certificate for a home or commercial property. This might be done before construction or renovation work, or before a person moves into a home they've purchased or had built. If you've been advised to call a private certifier to your home or are beginning any type of renovation work, note why such a professional is needed and when they need to be called.

1. What if work is being done outside the home?

You typically need to call a private certifier and get a building certificate for any work on your property that is more than minor cosmetics, and this includes the outbuildings on your property. If you're going to erect a new garage or renovate your current garage or install a shed, patio, retaining wall or pool, you usually need a private certifier to inspect the property and your plans and then issue a building permit. In most cases, the only exception would be a doghouse, birdhouse, or other such very small items. If you're not sure of what is included in your need for a private inspection, call the city council or a private inspector and ask.

2. When can I move into a newly built house?

Even with a brand new house, you need to have a private certifier perform their final inspection and give you a certificate of occupancy before you can move in. This is true even if the home has been inspected as the construction progressed and if you know that all work has been done up to code. The private inspector still needs to give the home one final walkthrough and issue their certificate before you can legally take occupancy; otherwise, you may face steep fines and fees from the city.

3. What about a house that has been relocated?

As with a newly built house, you need to have a home that's been relocated inspected by a private certifier before you can take occupancy. Again, this is true even if you know that everything in the home is up to code and you have made no changes to its interior or exterior before or after the move. The inspector will need to ensure the plumbing and electrical are all connected properly and give you their final inspection report before you can take occupancy, so be sure you have this scheduled as part of the home's relocation.

For more information, contact a local private certifier


8 January 2016